Thursday 31 July 2008

BBC Radio Article on Lammas

I was skimming through the BBC.co.uk pages on religion. The 'article of the now' was about Lammas (which is a contraction of Hlaefmass or Loaf Mass. I didn't use to use it until today, because of the word Mass, but I found out it comes from the Anglo-Saxon masse meaning lump or dough. Which is apt) so I decided to read it. While short 'n sweet, it did provide a link to a radio piece on the Lammas Games in 2007.

One of the bits that caught my attention was a small interview with Paul Mitchell, (from the Anderida Gorsedd no less!) a Bard from England.


Interviewer: How does druidry affect your everyday life?
Paul Mitchell: I don't believe what I believe because I'm a Druid, I'm a Druid because of the things I believe. It's a title I give myself, I don't fool myself that I am the same as the ancient druids of times gone by.
I don't think it influences my life, I think it is simply a reflection of my beliefs, my values, my values around the environment, around people, around community, and how important they are to me and, I think, to everyone and everything.

That is possibly on the better ways of describing Paganism and how it relates to us. My deviation to Paganism didn't make me Pagan, but rather is a system that fitted comfortably with what I believed in. Granted, since the label, I've quietly sealed the box up and progressed further inside than I would have imagined but I'm quite comfortable here. I've discovered a wonderful community and I think I'm now progressing quite nicely.

Beyond that, they prominently interview Bobcat (Emma Restall-Orr). She's always good to listen to on the various radio pieces they do. Admittedly I rather prefer listening to her than reading her books. There's Living Druidry on the bookshelf but her writing style (I'm picky with the way people write) has left it sadly unread.


There have been comments that the druidry of today is getting progressively more Wiccan in style and while I don't completely agree with that, you do feel it sometimes with her rituals. OBOD have their fair share, but there you go.

She's quite refreshing to listen to with her useful description of Lammas, and the games. She's frequently on the BBC, so I think if you rummage around there you could find some more pieces with her.

Anywho! Listen to the whole radio piece. It's quite interesting.

No comments: